Canada is well renowned across the world as a cosmopolitan society and as a destination that is welcoming to individuals from across the globe. The country also boasts of a high living standard, comprehensive social security legislation, and a well preserved natural environment. It is home to some of the most liveable cities in the world including Vancouver, Toronto, and Calgary which have been ranked at 3rd, 4th, and 5th respectively.
There are a number of programs which enable migration to Canada, among the most preferred ones are:
The Quebec Immigrant Investor Program
The two schemes almost have similar application and assessment criteria that have to be fulfilled. However, the quotas for any of the schemes may be filled at a given time and it is essential to have detailed knowledge of their application quota status. Under most circumstances the criteria for application are as follows:
(a) The investor has to have proper Business Experience as defined under Regulations and the investor must have previously managed or operated a business at least for two out of five years preceding the application.
(b) The combined net worth of the couple must exceed CAD 1.6 million with legitimate funds.
(c) The family must have passed Medical and Security evaluations as per the Canadian Government requirements.
(d) An investment of CAD 800,000 must be made for a period of 5 years in two Government Guaranteed investor programs where the amount will be paid back without any interest at the end of the period. Or
The investor may choose a financed option where the investor may choose to pay a fixed amount to cover the cost of a CAD 800,000 loan which will be repaid at the end of the term at no further cost.
A new program has been started under Section 14.1 of Immigration and Refugee Protection Act in May 2013 which enables entrepreneurs to migrate for starting a new business as an Angel Investor group in Canada subject to fulfillment of certain conditions:
- An investment of CAD 200,000 has to be made by a recognized Canadian Venture Capital Fund in the new business.
- The angel investor group must make a minimum investment of CAD 75,000.
- The applicants must have higher Educational Qualifications and an ability to communicate in English and/or French.
Self Employed Persons
Individual applicants who are able to show a significant contribution to culture and athletics at the International Level may be able to apply for a Self Employed Persons Visa. The main qualifications under this requirement are:
- The applicant must have show 2 years of experience in culture or athletics at the international level.
- An ability to contribute to Canadian society and support in the development of these areas.
- Knowledge of French or English.
- Qualification under a point-based system.
Quebec Entrepreneur Program
The province of Quebec runs a separate program to encourage entrepreneurship and an individual fulfilling the following conditions may be eligible to seek a visa as an entrepreneur. The main requirements to be fulfilled under this program are:
- Net assets of CAD 300,000 and a minimum experience of 2 years in managing a business plus the ability toA minimum stake of 25% of the business must be valued at greater than CAD 100,000.
- Fulfillment of specific criteria as laid down by the Quebec Government and qualification in an interview by an officer of the Quebec Government.
- The applicants must have knowledge of Quebec and the ability to communicate in English and/or French.
Permanent Residency Status in Canada
A qualified individual under any program can obtain a Canadian Permanent Residency for a period of 5 years. The qualification can be obtained by any of the approved programs of the Canadian Government. The details can be obtained from www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp
Obtaining Canadian Citizenship
A Canadian Permanent resident may apply for citizenship subject to the following conditions:
(a) He must have been resident in Canada for a total duration of three out of the last four years prior to his application.
(b) He must be free from a Criminal Record.
(c) He must have adequate knowledge of the language, history, policy and Government institutions of Canada.
Dependents and family members of the individuals are under most circumstances able to apply with the main applicant under all of the processes mentioned above. We at Empire can guide you through the entire process of application and obtaining a Permanent Resident Card with minimum hassles.
No designation has been made by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization for a Certificate of Special Competence in this area.